Ally Malcolm ’17 & Julia Knepper ‘17- As pounds of Halloween candy filter through childrens’ bags and spill into their homes, no one anticipates any possible danger. There are hundreds of rumors reported cases of spiked, or drugged, candy each year, yet most don’t think twice about checking their candy before it’s eaten. Romeo student, Taylor Timoszyk ‘17, had a frightening experience with Halloween candy her freshman year.

Timoszyk consumed spiked candy, and first experienced symptoms the day after Halloween.

“My first symptoms were blurry vision, dizziness, and headaches,” Timoszyk said. “As it progressed I couldn’t focus or read.”

Taylor continued to ingest the candy in the days following, unaware she was under the influence of drugs. Her frustration and confusion developed for about a week before anything was discovered.

“We had to go to the hospital and got a blood test done,” Timoszyk said. “The test came back positive for an unusual substance in my bloodstream and the doctors couldn’t even believe it.”

That night the family returned home to find little holes in several candy wrappers, a result of needles used to inject said substance. Immediately a full fledged police investigation commenced. Neighbors were informed to be on the lookout for the symptoms and encouraged to check their candy bags, and poison control was alerted.

Over the next 8 months, the fluids found in Timoszyk’s blood were tested against a variety of drugs and it was later discovered that Benzazepine, a dangerous antipsychotic, was in fact the culprit.

Taylor was not alone in consuming drugged candy that Halloween as several of her neighbors and friends had a similar experience.
Don’t disregard unusual symptoms this Saturday and remain cautious of what you chew and swallow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.